Cathedral Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Opens 30 mins before first service each day and closes after evensong
|Sunday||Parish Communion (Young People's Choir) 09.00; Cathedral Eucharist (Cathedral Choir) 10.30; Choral Evensong 16.00|
|Weekdays||Choral Evensong 17.15 Tue, Thu & Sat sometimes in term time; Choral Evensong 17.15 Wed.|
Organist & Director of Music
Samuel Hudson (since 2011)
Cathedral Choir of 18 boys and men, with a separate Girls Choir, Children's Choir of girls & boys, 5-8, Young People's Choir, men & women, 14-21, and the Renaissance Singers.
Originally Cavaillé-Coll 1875 dismantled 1964 and pipework not reused.
New organ by J W Walker 1969 using some pipework from earlier organ, rebuilt David Wood 1994 & 2002
4 manuals 61 stops:
Pedal 18 stops, Positive 9 stops, Great 12 stops, Swell 15 stops, Solo 7 stops.
The Very Revd Christopher Armstrong (since )
The Right Revd Nicholas Reade (since 2003)
The Diocese of Blackburn was created in 1926 and the parish church of St Mary the Virgin, built in 1826, was raised to Cathedral status. Enlargement of the building began in 1928 and continued until 1977 including the addition of a lantern tower with an aluminium spire in 1967. The lantern tower was rebuilt in natural stone in 1998.