Brentwood Cathedral (RC)
Cathedral Church of St Mary & St Helen
|Sunday||Sung Mass 09.30 (Cathedral Music Group); Sung Mass 11.30 (Cathedral Choir during term time); Choral Vespers 17.00 (3rd Sun of month)|
|Weekdays||Choral Vespers 18.30 Wed (term time)|
Music list www.brentwood-music.org.uk/
Entrance: Admission free
Disabled: Via car park
Photography: Permitted but not during services
Sunday after 9.30 & 11.30 services
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathedral Office 01227 265235
Cathedral Music Office 01227 265288
Master of Music
Andrew Wright (since 1982)
The Cathedral Choir, founded in 1984, consists of 20 boy Choristers drawn from local schools, Lay Clerks including Choral Scholars. The Gentlemen also sing with the Cathedral Choir Ladies' Consort.
The Cathedral Girls' Choir, founded in 2007, comprises 20 members.
Originally built by Alfred Hunter in 1881 for St. Mary-at-Walls, Colchester and rebuilt by Hill, Norman & Beard in 1931. When the church was closed it was offered to the new Cathedral in 1991. Completely rebuilt and restored by Percy Daniel of Clevedon and restored in 2002 to include additional pipework voiced by Dr David Frostick. The Cathedral architect, Quinlan Terry, designed a fine classical case for it.
3 manuals 48 stops:
Pedal 13 stops, Positive 10 stops, Great 12 stops, Swell 13 stops.
Monsignor Martin Boland (since 2009)
The Right Revd Alan Williams (since 2014)
The new Cathedral of 1991, designed by Quinlan Terry in the classical style of the Early Italian Renaissance combined with Christopher Wren's English Baroque, incorporated part of the Gothic Revival church of 1861. It has a North elevation of 9 bays each divided by Doric pilasters broken by a huge half-circular portico. The walls are of Kentish Ragstone with Portland Stone capitals & columns, topped by an octagonal lantern.