Cathedral Church of Christ
09.00-17.00 Winter; 09.00-18.00 Summer; 12.30-14.30 & 16.30-17.30 Sundays
|Sunday||Choral Eucharist 11.00; Choral Evensong 15.15|
|Weekdays||Choral Evensong 17.30 Mon, Tue, Fri; Wed (men only) 17.30; Thurs (boys only) 17.30; Sat 15.15|
|Christmas Day, Easter Day, Whit Sunday||Choral Matins 10.00|
Entrance: Admission to Precincts & Cathedral (unless attending a service) £9.50, concessions £8.50; details www.canterbury-cathedral.org/visit/information.html
Disabled: Disabled access into Cathedral
Photography: Free for personal use (but not in Crypt)
Usually three times a day except Sundays
Small kiosk in precincts (behind shop) open in summer months only
Small gift shop at West end of the nave; main shop on the South side of the Precincts (the main Precinct exit)
On the South side of the Precincts towards the gardens
E-mail address: email@example.com
The Friends Office 01227 865292
Cathedral House 01227 762862
Canterbury Visitor Information 01227 378100
International Study Centre 01227 865246
Cathedral Shop 01227 865300
Master of Music
Dr David Flood (since 1988)
The Choir consists of 12 Lay Clerks and 30 boy Choristers, singing six days a week. The Choristers attend St Edmunds School but board in their Choir House. Voice trials are held each November or by arrangement with Dr Flood.
Father Willis 1886 using some pipework by Green, rebuilt 1905, 1912 Norman, Hill & Beard. Rebuild 1949, 1968 Henry Willis, rebuilt and reduced to 3 manuals 1978 by Mander.
3 manuals 60 stops:
Pedal 13 stops, Choir 12 stops, Great 15 stops, Swell 14 stops, Nave 6 stops
The Very Revd Robert Willis (since 2001)
Archbishop of Canterbury
The Most Revd and Right Honourable Justin Welby (since 2013)
The Archbishop of Canterbury is a patron of the FCM.
The Cathedral's history goes back to 597AD when St Augustine, sent by Pope Gregory the Great as a missionary, established his seat (or 'Cathedra') in Canterbury. Augustine was given a church at Canterbury (St Martin's, after St Martin of Tours, still standing today) by the local King, Ethelbert . This building had been a place of worship during the Roman occupation of Britain and is the oldest church in England still in use. He established his seat within the Roman city walls and built the first Cathedral there, becoming the first Archbishop of Canterbury. Since that time, there has been a community around the Cathedral offering daily prayer to God; this community is arguably the oldest organisation in the English speaking world.
Until the 10th century the Cathedral community lived as the household of the Archbishop. During the 10th century, it became a formal community of Benedictine monks, which continued until the monastery was dissolved by King Henry VIII in 1540. Augustine's original building lies beneath the floor of the Nave - it was extensively rebuilt and enlarged by the Saxons and the Cathedral was rebuilt completely by the Normans in 1070 following a major fire. There have been many additions to the building over the last nine hundred years, but parts of the quire and some of the windows and their stained glass date from the 12th century.
During the Civil War of the 1640s the Cathedral suffered damage at the hands of the Puritans; much of the medieval stained glass was smashed and horses were stabled in the Nave. After the Restoration in 1660 several years were spent in repairing the building. In the early 19th Century the North West tower was found to be dangerous. Although it dated from Lanfranc’s time it was demolished in the early 1830s and replaced by a copy of the South West tower, thus giving a symmetrical appearance to the West end of the Cathedral.