Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity
Summer - 07.00-19.00; Winter 07.30-18.00
Ely city centre
|Sunday||Sung Eucharist 10.30; Choral Evensong 16.00|
|Weekdays||Choral Evensong 17.30 (Wed Girls' Choir)|
Entrance: £8.00, concessions £6.50 http://www.elycathedral.org/visit/visitor-information
Disabled: Wheelchairs available
Photography: Free but £2 for video filming
Every day. Tours of the Octagon £3.80, daily at 13.00, 14.15, 15.30 + 10.45 Sat
Open all day, situated at the NW corner of the Cathedral; Almonry Restaurant in the High Street
Cathedral shop open Mon-Sat 10.00-17.00 (16.00 in Winter), Sun 11.45-17.00
E-mail address: email@example.com
Cathedral Office 01353 667735
Guided Tours 01353 660344
Organist & Director of Music
Paul Trepte (since 1990)
The Cathedral Boys' Choir consists of 22 boys who all board at The Kings School on half fee Bursaries. They sing most of the services with the 6 Lay Clerks and make regular overseas tours as well as many recordings. The newly formed Girls' Choir consists of 16 girls who all attend as boarders at the senior Kings School on Bursaries. They have their own Director and sing Wednesday Evensong and Sunday Eucharist from time to time.
The first Cathedral organ was built in 1685 by Renatus Harris on the Choir Screen. In 1850 this was rebuilt in the North Choir Triforium in a new case designed by Gilbert Scott. A virtually new organ was built by Harrison and Harrison in 1908, restored in 1974-5, rebuilt in 2001.
4 manual 80 stops:
Pedal 15 stops, Positive 8 stops, Choir 10 stops, Great 20 stops, Swell 15 stops,Solo 12 stops
The Very Revd Mark Bonney (since 2012)
The Right Revd Stephen Conway (since 2010)
The original cathedral was bullt in Norman (Romanesque) style between the 1080s and the 1180s, the Galilee porch at the west end and the great Early English Presbytery at the east end being added in the first half of the 13th century. The Octagon, the Lady Chapel and the rebuilt Choir date from the first half of the 14th century. After the Dissolution some of the monastic buildings became houses for the new Dean and Chapter, others, including the the Great Gateway to the monastery - the Porta - became part of the King's School. Much restoration occurred in the 18th century as well as from 1839 onwards under George Gilbert Scott.