Abbey Church of The Blessed Virgin Mary
|Sunday||Parish Eucharist 09.30, Choral Evensong 18.30 (Summer) 17.00 (Winter) - times change when clocks are changed|
Director of Music
Paul Ellis (since )
Canon Eric Woods (since )
The Abbey was founded in AD 705 by St Aldhelm. The Abbey developed from a Saxon Cathedral to a Monastic Community and finally to one of the most beautiful of England's parish churches. It is almost entirely 15th century perpendicular in style of a rich golden colour from its Ham stone. It is famous for the magestic tower, the superb flying buttresses as well as the fan vaulting and Whistler reredos. The church was sensitively restored between 1850-1858 by Carpenter and Slater.