Downside Abbey (RC)
Benedictine Church of St. Gregory the Great
|Sunday||Mass 10.00, Vespers 17.00|
|Weekdays||Mass 08.35, Vespers 17.45|
Monastic Choir Master
Dom David Foster (since )
The Schola Cantorum is the main school choir, which sings the main services and which has produced the CD recordings: 'The Abbey' & 'Gregorian Moods'. There are two chamber choirs, a boys and a girls choir, numbering about 20 singers each. They sing Mass on some Sundays, specialise in 'a cappella' preformances, concerts and television appearances.
There is a 4 manual Compton organ in the Abbey Church.
The Very Revd Dom David Foster (since )
The Rt Revd Dom Aidan Bellenger (since )
The Benedictine Community came to Downside in 1814. The present buildings were begun in 1873 partly to accommodate a growing school. The Abbey church was begun in 1880 with its nave, by Giles Gilbert Scott, in 1925 and the church tower was completed in 1938. The school is a central part of the monasteries work but it also has focused on Hospitality and the St Bede Centre for talks and days of reflection in recent years.