Derby Composition Competition
Derby Cathedral and the Friends of Cathedral Music are inviting composers to submit a new setting of the Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis, The Derby Service, to celebrate the FCM National Gathering at Derby in June 2020. The winning work will be premiered at Evensong on Sunday 14 June 2020 by Derby Cathedral Choir as part of the Gathering.
An award of £1000 and the possibility of the work being published by Encore Publications (where
appropriate) will be given to the composer of the winning entry.
- The work should be scored for SATB choir and organ. Some occasional divisi is permitted
- Scores must be typeset and a midi file of the work should also be submitted
- The score and midi file should not bear your name and must be submitted with a competition application form
- The work must be set to the translation of the Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis in the Book of Common Prayer
- Scores and midi files should be sent to Rachel Randall, Choir Clerk, Derby Cathedral, 18-19 Iron Gate, Derby, DE1 3GP or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The competition deadline is noon on Thursday 5 March 2020
- The work must be original and must not have been performed or recorded previously
- The panel will consist of Alexander Binns (Director of Music at Derby Cathedral), Christopher Gower (former Director of Music at Peterborough Cathedral and Grants Secretary and Trustee of the Friends of Cathedral Music) and Edmund Hunt (Lay Clerk at Derby Cathedral and Postdoctoral research fellow in composition at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire)
- The decision of the panel is final
- The panel reserve the right not to award the prize
- Composers will retain all copyright to their works, except in the case of the winner, to whom a publishing contract with Encore Publications may be offered. Subject to negotiation, the winner will assign the copyright in his/her entry to Encore Publications on completion of the publishing contract.
- The publishing contract with the winner will be in line with industry standards in respect of royalty rates and other arrangements. If a publishing contract cannot be agreed between Encore Publications and the winner, or no entries are deemed suitably creditworthy for publication, then the judges and Encore Publications reserve the right not to publish any of the entries. If a publishing contract is awarded then the winner must submit a Sibelius file of the work.
Please direct any queries to Rachel Randall at: email@example.com